Friday, August 21, 2009

Most Powerful Women

This afternoon I read an article on the 100 Most Powerful Women in the world. Although many of them are big business tycoons I was happy to see activists on there as well. Here's the article. Reading it really buoyed my spirits. I guess after having so many things go "wrong" this year I started to lose hope. But, after reading this article I remembered that all these women started somewhere, and not all of them had a head start.

Some people have said to me recently that most importantly, I have love. That's true. I forgot how really powerful that is. I have love in my marriage, of course, and that is precious. I also have love for myself. With that love, I can do what's best for me, my partner, and then my world. I am applying to graduate school and trusting that the money will be there. I will try to get scholarships, and if that fails, I will do something else. I'm writing a memoir, a novel, and I'm starting my 2nd poetry manuscript. It's what makes me happy, and, pardon me for getting a bit Pagan-religious in this post, but "All acts of love and beauty are in Her name." Maybe the reason why I can't find work at all is because I need to work on these things. Maybe I need to be in Ireland right now. And, I get to spend more time with L than ever, and that is a blessing too. And out of love comes everything worth having.

Also, I have a lot of great ideas for what to do with my money when I have it. I can't say enough about The Rainforest Site. The clicks are great because it's a way to donate money when you're broke, but everything that is sold on that site goes to charity, there are loads of petitions for good causes waiting to be signed, and there are a lot of charities that you can donate to directly, like the Nepalese Youth Opportunity Foundation. It's amazing how $350 can liberate a little girl from a life of indentured servitude and give her an education with school supplies and enough money to support her family. I don't have it now, but when I do, I know where I'm sending it. And I was thinking that even though I don't have anything at the moment, I could probably think of some ways to raise it so I could give it sooner. I should contact the NYOF though so people believe me. It's important to do these things correctly.

All in all, a very thought-provoking afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment