Saturday, August 29, 2009

Madonna Speaks Out For Gypsy Rights

Reason #23 why I love Madonna: Read it here. RTE reports that Madonna spoke to the crowd at one of her Bucharest concerts about her sadness about the enormous plight of the Romany-Gypsy people. Although her remark was met with boos she continued to defend her position and the fact that Gypsies deserve equal rights and freedom just like everyone else.

I must say I am extraordinarily touched. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my Gypsy heart. This kind of racism has been normalized and encouraged to the point that sometimes I find it is UNSAFE for me to admit that I'm partially Romany-Gypsy. And my full Gypsy brothers and sisters endure hate crimes, murder, and worse all the time, for so long. This must end. Gypsy power! Equal rights and freedom for all! An extraordinarily famous spokesperson is what we need, just as much as we need everyone to speak up in unison for love instead of hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment