Friday, November 11, 2011

Dedicating a space

I am not great at dutifully, well, writing. Which is kind of a ridiculous claim because now I teach writing, and take classes for which I write giant papers, and I'm a writer. But blogging is not natural to me. But it is good! Blogging is good. I'm going to try harder. Harder!

I live in Florida now, and I have some ideas. I started writing a lot about Romani writes issues on here, and I think it's fair to say that I have more than a passing interest in them. But I dropped it-- mostly because other life-stuff became quite pressing. But I would really like to dedicate this space to some kind of intelligent discourse about Romani people-- rights, stereotypes, customs... I'm really interested in how my people can be at once romanticized and demonized through the ages. I have a liminal position as a member of my community. I have been at once within and outside my own culture-- I stand on the threshold. My Romani grandmother fled from Germany after the war and had to keep her ethnicity a secret. I was raised with some customs and not with others. I've lived in Europe and America and seen extreme reactions to my ethnicity and my fellows'. I see problems, misrepresentations, and human rights infringements. I see mythology spinning out of control. For a long time I have wanted to say something but did not know what to say. So I will say this: I have one voice that comes from many places. Just like everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Being on the threshold gives you an amazing perspective and I learn a lot through your voice, m'dear lady. Can't wait to read more of your thoughts as you let your light of love for your culture flicker in the dark. Thanks for beckoning to the rest of us to follow.

    ReplyDelete