Monday, July 13, 2009

Village Adventure

I went to Ballincollig Castle today! B and I trundled across the fields, were chased by really cute puppies, waded through a bog, and stepped over a large dirt pit that felt like walking on chocolate cake. The castle is mostly taken by nature, beer cans, and graffiti, but it's clear it was a rather large castle with great towers and maybe a moat. The cross section of a spiral staircase flashed across the expanse of grass where floors once were laid. Wonderful.

The sidewalks in town were odd today. Gasoline spattered the streets like molten silver. A bird was flattened on the sidewalk, its eyes eaten by ants, the skull crushed and cracked, and the brain bulged out of the open head like an opal glowing strangely in pale sunlight. Two men in a car laughed at a tractor crawling toward them. I brought glass to the recycling plant: my bag ripped open and a bottle shattered on the street. I worried about kids feet. Cleaned up best I could.

Waiting for L to come home to me. England is far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment